Dreams.

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Jul 11 02:13:11 EDT 1999

[Ben Caradoc-Davies]
> Hmmm. I'm not sure what your background is, Scott, but you may
> not be aware of some previous work --- the term you may be looking
> for is "continuation". ...

I don't think so.  Continuations capture control-flow state but Scott is
aiming to dream away <wink> changes in data state.  Bindings aren't saved or
restored by continuations:

(define cont #f)
(define (test)
  (let ((i 0))
    (call/cc
     (lambda (k)
       (set! cont k)))
    (set! i (+ i 1))
    (print i) (newline)))

Then:

1
2
3
> (cont)
4

Indeed, if bindings *were* restored, invoking a saved continuation couldn't
do anything other than repeat what it did the first time it ran <wink>.

Fully agreed that SICP is a great book, and functional languages (of which
Scheme is not one) are worth learning too, but Scott has a harder problem in
mind than continuations alone can solve.

you-just-don't-see-many-functional-databases-these-days<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim