debugging MSVC DLLs

Tom Adelman ta16 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 19 11:08:04 EDT 1999

I'm wondering if someone can help me with this (or should I direct this
question to a Microsoft group?):

What I'm doing now:
    I write classes in MSVC++, compile them as a DLL, and SWIG them.  I
then run python.exe from within the Microsoft Developer Studio, and then
within Python load this DLL.  This way, I can use the MS debugger to
look at what's going on within my classes while I manipulate them in
Python.
    The problem with this is that I can only debug the DLL whose project
I used to start Python; I don't know how to, for example, write a new
DLL and switch to debugging the new one.

What I want to do:
    I would rather run Python from within Windows, load various DLLs,
and debug whichever DLL I need, or a new one that I write, while
remaining in the same Python execution.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this?  Can you tell me how?

Thanks for any help,
Tom Adelman
ta16 at cornell.edu