making a Windows NT service out of a python program

Mark Hammond MHammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jul 13 23:07:02 EDT 1999

Bill Tutt wrote in message
<4D0A23B3F74DD111ACCD00805F31D8100DB90F2E at RED-MSG-50>...

>> >The worst thing about them is that they can be tricky to
>> debug.  If they
>> >are running in the system account then they have a restricted
>> >environment and the standard output channels send useful data to
>>
>> he he - not with Python :-)  Just import win32traceutil at
>> the top of your
>> service, and you can see all your print statements in Pythonwin :-)

Also, I meant to mention that Python services have a built-in "debug" mode,
where the service simply runs under Python.exe - this can be very handy, and
I use this most of the time when developing.

>Heck, if you give it permission to interact with the desktop, you might
>actually be able to use Mark's cool GUI debugger. :) (No I haven't tried
>this...)

Actually, I know someone who has.  Theoretically, it will work as long as
you restrict the debugging to a single thread.  The Pythonwin debugger is
not thread friendly (although I have been thinking about that, and decided
it could be.  Other alternative would be to build a "remote debugger"
interface, so you always could debug, regardless of desktop interaction -
dunno which way I will go (probably the former for now), but it wont be for
a while (or until I personally _really_ need it :)

Mark.