newbie questions about sys.path, wxpython, IDLE and pythonwin

Matt Feinstein mfein at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Wed Jul 14 13:36:21 EDT 1999

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:11:27 +1000, "Mark Hammond"
<MHammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote:

>MB wrote in message <378B7A69.12874AAC at gnet.tn>...
>>I need to know exactly how the sys.path is built. In my system I have no
>>pythonpath variable but the sys.path returns a list. I suppose it was
>>built by default. This list doesn't contain all my python
>>subdirectories. So I want to know when and how this list was built ?
>>(yes I examined the registry and found references to python directories
>>but they don't match my sys.path)
>
>Python uses a combination of the values you found in the registry, and some
>default values - things like ".\lib" are added always, regardless of the
>registry.  Remember, you have the same source to see how it works that I do.

 Well, with all due respect, this can't be the whole story--  after
installing the numeric extension, I found the numeric directory in
sys.path, but not in the registry list.  So, what -is- going on here?

--
Matt Feinstein
mfein at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Organizational Department of Repeated