Language extensibility (was: Why is tcl broken?)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Thu Jul 1 16:35:33 EDT 1999

[Removed all but comp.lang.lisp]
* William Tanksley wrote:

> Forth is very much like Lisp, with the subtraction of memory management
> and the addition of implicit parameter passing.  Forth is Lisp for people
> who prefer "as simple as possible" to "but no simpler."  (And it IS a very
> good language; I use it more than Scheme.)

For what it's worth there are ongoing forth-lisp links in the form of
HP's language for their advanced calculators, RPL, which stands for
Reverse Polish Lisp, although it is really closer to Forth with memory
management.  It's actually a delightful language to use considering
the limitations of the device it runs on. It is a little frustrating
to those used to Lisp sometimes though.

(Of course, that doesn't stop people clamouring for a C++ compiler for
the hp48!).

--tim