"libmysqlclient.so.6" not found. (what does /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/lib/mysql do ?)

Oleg Broytmann phd at emerald.netskate.ru
Fri Jul 23 05:55:09 EDT 1999

Hi!

   You havn't mention your OS and version, looking for ldconfig I think it
is Linux.
   To permanently add /usr/local/lib/mysql to ld search directory path, add
it to /etc/ld.so.conf file (it is just plain text file - add yet another
line to the end of the file) and run ldconfig without parameters to rebuild
ld.so.cache.

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999 sweeting at neuronet.com.my wrote:
> When building Python from source, and with the MySQLmodule in the
> Modules directory, I got the following error :
>
> Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.6" not found
> *** Error code 1
>
> But libmysqlclient.so.6 does indeed exist in /usr/local/lib/mysql.
>
> Fortunately, somebody had  come across this in a previous post/thread
> and the cure was to run " /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/lib/mysql" before
> compiling. Sure enough this worked and now I have a fully functioning
> Python interpreter (and environment)  :)
>
> However, upon rebooting the machine, if I try to run a Python program
> it will again complain that "libmysqlclient.so.6" can not be found
> (since the MySQLmodule is shared). Once again
> running " /sbin/ldconfig /usr/local/lib/mysql"  cures the problem but
> does this mean that I have to run it each and every time I restart the
> computer, as part of my startup scripts ? Is this error indicative of
> there being a larger problem or misconfiguration ?

   It is not misconfiguration - but ld should know where to find .so files.

> Thanking you in advance,
>
> chas

Oleg.
----