IDLE Keyboard Mappings

David Warnock david at sundayta.co.uk
Mon Jul 19 05:05:43 EDT 1999

Hi,

IDLE has different keyboard mappings for Unix and Windows eg Cut
Selection is Ctrl-w on Unix and Ctrl-x on Windows. Many commands on Unix
are ctrl-x ctrl-something eg Save, New Window etc.

I will be using IDLE on both Linux and Windows (mostly Linux) and would
like to be able to have a single keybaord mapping.

Looking at the source code it appears I could simply change Bingings.py
from

if sys.platform == 'win32':
    default_keydefs = windows_keydefs
else:
    default_keydefs = unix_keydefs

to simply hard code the defaults to my preferred settings (probably
windows as it uses less keystrokes) regardless of platform.

This does not seem a very good solution. Where is the correct place to
comment on IDLE? I would prefer a solution which allowed the default
mappings to be selected by a configuration file or which provided a menu
option to select them. As python is such a nice language I might even be
able to make the changes myself (despite having only just started with
python).

Thanks

Dave

--