Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Wolfgang Keller w_keller at gmx.de
Thu Jul 15 15:35:45 EDT 1999

Travis Oliphant <olipt at mayo.edu> wrote:

> Right now it fits what I want to do very well and it works on
> systems with an X server (aren't X servers available for MAC's and
> Windows?)

There's even a complete POSIX subsystem available that runs as an
application on top of the MacOS (MachTen from Tenon), but you'd better
not even consider calling a beast that runs on something like that a
'MacOS application', because no self-respecting Mac user would ever use
it unless you point a loaded shot gun at his head and threaten to kill
him if he doesn't. :-)

If you want to develop an application for the MacOS, no matter whether
it is 'cross platform' or not, you absolutely _have to_ respect certain
rules (most of them are mentioned in Inside Mac). The last one who tried
to 'transplant' the WinDos and Linux way-of-thinking onto the MacOS was
StarDivision, whose StarOffice became a real success on WinDos and got
standing ovations by the Linux crowd, but it was a _complete_ failure on
the MacOS, so badly that they never finished version 4.0 for the MacOS
and they didn't even try to port 5.0.

No offense intended, just to prevent you from putting a lot of work into
something comeplete useless.

Regards,

--
Wolfgang Keller

Zu Risiken und Nebenwirkungen von Junkmail lesen Sie
de.admin.net-abuse.mail und fragen sie Ihren Postmaster oder Provider