Still Not Getting Comp.Object.Moderated?

Tim Ottinger ottinger at oma.com
Thu Jul 29 14:43:40 EDT 1999

Several people have written me (in my capacity as
c.o.m software janitor) about problems in accessing
comp.object.moderated.

We already have multiple reliable points of insertion to
the 'net. We're getting propagation internationally, and
sometimes with amazing speed. There's really no problem
at our end :-)

So the problem is at your end, or somewhere in the middle.
News propagation can be a tricky thing. :-(

Right now, the very best thing you can do is to gently,
kindly, politely, and patiently ask your ISP to carry
the moderated group. You may point them to :
<URL:ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/control/comp/comp.object.moderated>
to see the valid control messages and for comfirmation that this is a
valid newsgroup.

Quite often, you can reach them at news at YOUR_ISP or less
directly at support at YOUR_ISP. The ISP may not answer back
the same day, so I reiterate, be patient. Some ISPs took
several weeks to add the group. Also remember the problem
may not even be their fault, but someone upstream from
them.

If your ISP cannot get a reliable feed, they may contact the
comp.object.maintainer at oma.com. Maybe we can work something
out.

In the meantime, there's DejaNews and NewsGuy, and Doc's
list of open news servers (but don't use servers without
asking -- there can be trouble there)

--
Your Janitor
Tim

--------- There is no craftite conspiracy -------------
Tim Ottinger         Object Mentor      OO Training and
ottinger at oma.com      www.oma.com          Mentoring