Embedding python/multi-thread env

Laurent POINTAL pointal at lure.u-psud.fr
Tue Jul 20 03:18:19 EDT 1999

Depending what you really need. You must know that there is a global
lock between the different Python interpreters. If you write your own
C extensions (really easy with Python), you can release this global
lock during your long computations which dont interract with Python.

See Python/C API Reference Manual, chapter 8.1 "Thread State and the
Global Interpreter Lock".

A+

Laurent.

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999 14:08:31 -0500, Aaron Lauinger
<aaronl at cannontech.com> wrote:

>: I am looking for a suitable scripting language for a multi-threaded
>: server application.  I am wondering if python might be a fit.  The
>: server must be able to run multiple scripts concurrently (in separate
>: worker threads) and must be able to stop any of these scripts cleanly at
>: any time.  The scripting language must also allow writing C extensions -
>: I am believe python meets this req.  I am not so sure about the threaded
>: part.  If python cannot meet the threading requirement is there a
>: scripting language that can?
>: Tcl also seems like a candidate, but all of the Tcl docs i've found
>: avoids the topic of embedding multiple interpreters in a multi-threaded
>: application like the plague.  Does what i'm looking for even exist?
>: Any insights are much appreciated.
>:
>: Aaron Lauinger
>: Cannon Technologies
>: http://www.cannontech.com
>:

---
Laurent POINTAL - CNRS/LURE - Service Informatique Experiences
Tel/fax: 01 64 46 82 80 / 01 64 46 41 48
email  : pointal at lure.u-psud.fr  ou  lpointal at planete.net