Python documentation available as ZIP files

Fred L. Drake fdrake at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Jul 23 12:56:05 EDT 1999

  I've received enough hostile mail from Windows users not
understanding how to unpack .tgz archives (er, WinZip works for me...)
that I will be making most of the documentation packages available as
ZIP archives as well as .tgz archives.
  For the most part, the ZIP archives are approximately the same size
as the .tgz archives, but be aware that, even with maximal
compression, the HTML ZIP archive is substantially larger than the
.tgz equivalent.  This is likely caused by the ZIP format having two
directory entries for each file instead of one; with a lot of small
files, this can make a difference.
  The new files are now available on the master FTP and Web sites at
python.org; they should appear on mirrors over the coming week.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake at acm.org>