Scientific Plotting?

Jeffrey Chang jefftc at leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue Jul 20 02:21:15 EDT 1999

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Nick Bower wrote:
> People at my current work use MatLab or IDL for chomping data through
> data calculations and plotting the results in an environment that lets
> you get GUI's up and going very quickly (among other things).

[...]
> But...What do people use for plotting?

I'm interested in this as well.  I looked at the different options a few
months ago and found Matlab still to be the most robust (didn't look at
IDL) for plotting scientific data.

Fortunately, Python interfaces very cleanly with Matlab.  With Andrew
Sterian's nice PyMat module
(http://www-personal.umich.edu/~asterian/Python), you can perform Matlab
operations on NumPy arrays and vice versa almost transparently.  The
biggest advantage of this is that you'd get easy access to Matlab
functions, like plotting, as well as the general scripting capabilities of
Python.

So, to answer your question, I'm using Matlab from python.

Jeff