Need help with TCP/IP client access from Windows

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jul 30 12:49:38 EDT 1999

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com>:
> > Probably the same directory where you put your script. (The Win31
> > convention of putting all ini files in the Windows directory under
> > <appname>.ini is now, thank goodness, passe).
>
> OK.  Will giving the filename ".\\intriguer" work for this?  And,
> given that the filename is going through the C library, will leaving
> it as "./intriguer" work?

Yes and yes. File Manager doesn't know what to make of an
extensionless file name, but that's OK. For years I created comma
delimited files as ".cdf". Then one day I installed IE 4, and they
magically became "Channel Definition Files".

This is good. It means that while Ionesco is dead, his spirit
lives on.

> (Sorry for the newbie questions, but I have zero Windows-programming
> experience.) --

No prob. As long as you don't expect extreme conformance out
of the c runtime lib, you'll do fine.

a-foolish-consistency-etc.-ly y'rs

- Gordon