Need help with TCP/IP client access from Windows

Bill Tutt billtut at microsoft.com
Fri Jul 30 19:52:03 EDT 1999

Just to be annoying... I thought I'd send out some info on how things are
supposed to work on Win32 boxes.

The correct way to go about doing these things is via the SHGetFolderPath
API.
(Calling SHGetSpecialFolderPath is also ok, but SHGetFolderPath is the
preferred API entry point.)
Docs at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/sdkdoc/shellcc/Shell/Functions/ShGetFolder
Path.htm

A description of all of the special folders is at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/sdkdoc/shellcc/shell/Functions/CSIDL.htm

Ok so can I use these in Python yet?
Unfortunately, not at the moment. If someone screams and yells I'm sure Mark
or I will write the necessary wrapping code.

The preferred place on NT (ignoring terminal server) for per user
application data files to reside in is:
"%WINDIR%\Profiles\%USERNAME%\Application Data\<appname>"
If you don't want the data to roam (assuming your account is setup that
way), the data should go in:
"%WINDIR%\Profiles\%USERNAME%\Local Settings\Application Data\<appname>"

Bill