Python 1.5.2 + Linux 2.0.36 == Bad Combo?

Preston Landers mithy at my-deja.com
Sun Jul 18 01:37:23 EDT 1999

In article <slrn7oufnu.5ng.kas at titan.magnetic-ink.dk>,
  kas at maps.magnetic-ink.dk wrote:
> Considering that Preston is able to reproduce the Kernel Oops using
the
> same kernel and python version as I do, I belive it's something deeper
> than the python installation.  But thanks anyway, I'll take a look at
the
> URL. :-)

Hey, this is Preston, I wrote one of the programs Klaus is having
trouble with.

I think his original post didn't mention that Pagecast uses threads --
though there is little to no "voodoo" involved; it's pretty
straightforward.

this particular problem (the segfault and kernel oops with Python 1.5.2
and Linux 2.0.36) seems to happen when the number of threads increases
above four.  In fact, it seems to happen when the fourth thread *exits*.
GDB sez: "error accessing memory address 0x4008A408 : no such process."

It's not a memory or hardware problem as someone else suggested.  I'm
able to reproduce the bug exactly on my own machine, with a different
distribution no less.  And I've stress tested my RAM extensively.

I still haven't had a chance to really dive into debugging Pagecast
under Python 1.5.2 and Linux 2.0.36 yet but I will (probably tomorrow.)
I normally run Linux 2.2.x.   Klaus, I'll do that soon and post to the
Pagecast list and/or here.

BTW if anyone is interested (quick plug) Pagecast is a Python program
that submits lists of URLs to internet spiders like ALtaVista, Hotbot,
etc.  http://askpreston.com/projects/pagecast

Thanks,

--
||  Preston Landers <preston at askpreston.com>  ||