I envy newbies

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jul 16 10:21:03 EDT 1999

Ivan "in 24 Hours" Van Laningham wrote:

> ``The first thing you need to do is to find where IDLE lives, and to
> do that you need to know where Python lives; this should be simple,
> since the Python directory should be in your path.

Unlike Tim, it's on my path (NT), but I fairly sure I put it there,
not the installer.

> On all my Windows
> systems, Python is in "C:\Python",

Installer's default is C:\Program Files\Python. And Tim's trick
appears to require Active Desktop, so you can ignore him...

BTW, I thought I saw you mention PYTHONPATH in another post on
Windows installations.  The installer does not create one, and one is
not necessary to use the official installation. In fact, the only
time I use it on my Windows box is so I can use an alternate
installation (3 at the moment, but I've had as many as 7).

but-you-are-at-the-right-level-of-detail-for-your-publisher-ly y'rs

- Gordon