How fast can we multiply?

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Tue Jul 20 09:29:47 EDT 1999

Tim and Christian spoke:

C> Then I also had a look into NumPy and its matrix multiplication.  I
C> stunned. Again no attempt to optimize big O. It could be done with
C> Python, the algorithms are known, the fruit is waiting to be picked.

T> Large dense matmult isn't very common.  Sing along:

i dont see the connection between floating point matrix multiplies and
the integer arithmetic tim sketched out in the previous post.

Spock, explain!

les 'my-denseness-is-multiplying' schaffer
--
____        Les Schaffer              ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<---
Theoretical & Applied Mechanics          |  Designspring, Inc.
Cornell Univ.  schaffer at tam.cornell.edu  |  les at designspring.com