NT select.select?

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Jul 30 09:39:28 EDT 1999

Markus Stenberg wrote:

> Is there some low limit on maximum number of sockets you can have in
> the Python-NT's select call? A program that happens to work
> perfectly on Linux seems to die on NT around 64(?) sockets to the
> 'too many file descriptors in call' error.

Correct. Windows has the same limit (64) in the native
WaitForMultipleObjects calls.

> Any portable ways to bypass it?

Doubt it. A Windows developer would probably have N threads each
handling M sockets.

FWIW, HPUX comes with 3 different flavors of sockets and select. One
version has a low limit, the second a moderate limit and the third
has a limit so huge I can't imagine testing it.

- Gordon