int(long(-sys.maxint-1)) fails on Linux

olli at rhein-zeitung.de olli at rhein-zeitung.de
Fri Jul 23 04:21:03 EDT 1999

> This is on a Pentium III system running straight Mandrake 6.0.  I think, as Christian
> and Oliver pointed out, it is pgcc related.  I tried it on a Mandrake 5.3 system (using
> the normal gcc, not pgcc, and it worked correctly)

Yep, that is exactly what happens when you use pgcc. I moved to pgcc some time
ago and caused a lot of problems. The distribution itself worked fine, but as
soon as someone updated a package and recompiled it with egcs or gcc. That
module was not importable by the distribution I created. I moved back to egcs
without this pentium/pentiumII stuff, and everything worked. And if this is
the case again, I have to look into this more then I like to. ;-)))

I reported the ASM code to a (P)GCC/EGCS professional or poweruser and he is
looking into the issue right now. I believes that it is either pgcc or pgcc in
combination with glibc2.1 or so. But I hopefully get some info until the
weekend. I like to have this issue fixed before releasing any new distribution
release. ;-))

> It sounds as if Oliver's very-soon-to-be-released versions of the packages may have
> fixed the problem w/ compiler flags.  I'm anxious to try it out (Oliver, thanks for all
> the effort, BTW.  I got impatient waiting for your new releases, and have been making
> my own based on you specs and packages...  LOT of work getting everything just right!
> I figured you were busy, as we all are, but I'm happy to see that you'll be releasing soon.
> I will definately join the python4linux mailing list, as I would like to help out in the
> future)

That is fine and promising. Do you mind to send me your spec file or SRPM? May
be we can integrate the two files into one and get an even better solution for
some tasks. I am good adt rpming but I am by no means godlike in this field.

Bye, Oliver

--
Oliver Andrich, RZ-Online, Schlossstrasse Str. 42, D-56068 Koblenz
Telefon: +49-261-39210-40 Fax: -33 |       http://rhein-zeitung.de
                                   |            http://andrich.net
GMC d- s++:++ a- C++ UL++++ P-- L+++ E--- W++ N+ w-- O- M--
V- PS++ PE Y+ PGP+ t 5+ X R+ tv+ b++ DI++ D- G e h- r z+