Tk-Problem?

Bernhard Herzog herzog at online.de
Sun Jul 11 19:39:39 EDT 1999

Hans Gubitz <gubitz at netcologne.de> writes:

> I need some help. What am I doing wrong?
>
> gubitz at pumuckl:~/python/apk > python
> Python 1.5.1 (#1, Apr  5 1999, 00:08:45)  [GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314 (e on linux2

You seem to be running the Python from SuSE Linux 6.1.

> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> 1.0
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> ValueError: float() literal too large: 1

I had the same problem on the same system, although this happened with
pygtk. I finally found that the culprit was the environment variable
LC_CTYPE which has the value de_DE by default on SuSE 6.1, at least on
the German version. Setting it to C should help.

It seems to me that this is really a bug in the C-library.

--
Bernhard Herzog	  | Sketch, a python based drawing program
herzog at online.de  | http://www.online.de/home/sketch/