debugging MSVC DLLs

breadly at my-deja.com breadly at my-deja.com
Tue Jul 20 08:14:34 EDT 1999

Cool,

I know nothing about python and was just looking around and I get to
post an answer ;)

  mark.mcmahon at eur.autodesk.com wrote:
> I think that this is possible using the Additional DLL's in the
> Debug tab in MSVC...

When I was trying to do this sort of stuff, I tried to use that tab in
MSVC, but unfortunately (no Microsoft flaming required) it worked
inconsistently. By that I mean it worked on an NT machine but not
another NT machine and not another W98 machine. I never figured out why.

don't bother, I don't read the microsoft group ;)

My experience with this stuff should apply to you.
As long as you compile all your DLLs with the debug flags and include
database information (Project Settings -> C/C++ -> Debug-Info)
then the debugger will be able to pick them up if you open the code and
set a breakpoint.

As I said before I had some problems/inconsistencies. Try the
Additional DLL tab first - add the full path of the DLL and make sure a
debug database file (I think it is .pdb) is in the same place.

If that doesn't work, try putting the DLL and .pdb (if thats right) in
a directory in the path.

If this is working right, you should be able to step in from one to the
other.

hope that helps...
now back to python stuff...

brad.

--
Note this is not an email account, just used for

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/