Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?

Larry W. Virden Larry.W..Virden at p98.f112.n480.z2.fidonet.org
Fri Jul 2 00:28:57 EDT 1999

From: lvirden at cas.org (Larry W. Virden)

On Jul 2,  8:16, Gerrit Holl wrote:
} Subject: Re:  Python GUIs: Abandoning TkInter and welcoming wxPython?
--> On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 11:56:10AM +0000, lvirden at cas.org wrote:
--> > From:	lvirden at cas.org
--> > According to Mikael Lyngvig <mikael at pobox.com>:
--> > :Well, TkInter is extremely slow, but not because of the Python part.
--> > When I run the Tk test suite  on my SPARC, Tk cranks thru creating and
--> > deleting windows as fast as the eye can track.
-->
--> I think you should also say what kind of processor you have if you're
--> talking about this:
-->
--> "Windows NT on a Pentium IV 500 MHZ runs over 10 times faster than a
--> Linux 386 30 MHZ" (is it?)

Probably worthwhile to indicate what OS, what version of Tk (and Python
if that's factoring into the discussion), and probably amount of memory.
Another factor may be the kind of video card - 8 bit vs 32 bit vs something
else...

I know I was referring to an Ultra 5 / Solaris 2.6 / Tk any version /
128 meg of memory, 8 bit color 19" monitor.

--
<*> O- <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/>