Tk: Temporarily change cursor?

Greg McFarlane gregm at iname.com
Tue Jul 20 00:50:34 EDT 1999

As far as I am aware, there is no (easy, reliable) way to do what you
want (create a busy cursor) using Tk.  The Blt extension to Tk
provides the "busy" Tcl command to do this.  You will need to install
Blt and then you can access this from python.  Pmw provides a python
interface to the Blt busy command.

    Blt: http://www.tcltk.com/blt/
    Pmw: http://www.dscpl.com.au/pmw/

On 20 Jul, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Is there an easy way to temporarily change the
> cursor in Tk while a piece of code runs? Or
> even a hard way that always works?
>
> There doesn't seem to be any way to directly
> change the cursor currently displayed -- you
> have to change the cursor of a particular widget.
>
> I've had some success with changing the cursor
> of a widget and then doing an update, but it
> only works reliably if I pick exactly the right
> widget, which is difficult, especially if the
> spot in the code where I want to do this is
> far removed from the user action which
> initiated it.
>
> This is such a commonly done thing, surely
> there must be some provision for it in Tk?
>
> Windows, Python 1.5.2 and Tk 8.0, by the way.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Greg
>
> --

Greg McFarlane:    INMS Telstra Australia (gregm at iname.com)
Today's forecast:  Sunny, with occasional cloudy periods and a chance
		   of precipitation in some areas.