make or similar in Python

Robert Kern kernr at mail.ncifcrf.gov
Wed Jul 7 18:58:50 EDT 1999

On Wed, 07 Jul 1999 13:39:42 -0400, Greg Wilson <gvwilson at nevex.com>
wrote:

>Hi, folks.  Has anyone ever written a dependency management/update tool
>(like 'make') in Python?
>I'm not looking for something that reads makefiles, and happens to be
>written in Python; I'm looking
>for a Python module that users import, then provide data to, in order to
>manage dependencies.  (The
>answer I got from the Perl crowd was 'cool idea, but no'; I'm hoping
>I'll have more luck here.)
>Thanks,
>Greg (who'd really, really like to override some of the things that
>GNU make does)

Check out
ftp://ftp.python.org/pub/python/contrib/System/pymake-0.1-sb.tar.gz
You will probably have to hack it up a bit to do exactly what you
want, but it's probably a really good start.

Robert Kern           |
----------------------|"In the fields of Hell where the grass grows high
This space            | Are the graves of dreams allowed to die."
intentionally         |           - Richard Harter
left blank.           |