[Tutor] I want to learn to hack

David Ascher da at ski.org
Wed Jul 21 14:35:22 EDT 1999

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Gerrit Holl wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 02:31:55AM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > > I want to learn to hack
> > So, little Roger, you want to learn how to hack?  You came to the right
> > place!  First walk down the hall and pick up a copy of Python from Guido.
> > He'll have you cracking bank accounts in no time <wink>.
> >
> > the-psa-is-the-richest-organization-on-earth-ly y'rs  - tim
> >

> Well, I think Roger meant hack, not crack. Have a look at Eric S Raymonds
> "How to become an hacker FAQ" at http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/ (and some
> further).
>
> Hacking is good,
> cracking is bad.
>
> I also want to learn to hack, I'm learning it!
> I *don't* want to learn to crack!!

Gerrit -- just to fill you in -- Roger was presumably either joking or
testing a spam filter -- he is a colleague of Guido's, and knows all about
hacking.  Whether he knows about cracking or not is not something he's
likely to disclose in public. =)

(In other words, Tim was kidding, Roger was kidding, I'm not kidding!).

--david