split this newsgroup?

Skip Montanaro skip at mojam.com
Fri Dec 3 07:32:07 EST 1999

    Max> The volume on this newgroup might justify splitting the newgroup.
    Max> Comments?

A reasonable indicator that a newsgroup needs to be split is that the volume
grows too large (this isn't that big, actually) *and* that there is some
obvious pattern to the messages that would suggest a natural way to split
the group.  I don't see either indicator being met.

If you're having trouble wading through the newsgroup here are a couple
suggestions:

  1.  Look at the features your newsreader supports for reading large
      newsgroups (threading, killfiles, etc).  Perhaps you can filter out
      messages based upon subject or content (e.g., Windows-related terms
      like DLL, COM, etc).  You might also find it useful to pick a personal
      "reviewer" and only follow threads in which that person participates.

  2.  If your newsreader is found wanting, find another one and repeat #1.

  3.  If you're still SOL, try switching to the mailing list
      (python-list at python.org) and repeat #1 and #2, replacing "newsreader"
      with "mail user agent" and "newsgroup" with "mailing list".

I find using GNU Emacs' VM mailreader with its threading support sufficient
to keep up (and use procmail to sort incoming Python messages into their own
inbox).  It can still be a bit daunting to see several hundred unread
messages if I haven't read the group for a couple days.

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip at mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/
847-971-7098   | Python: Programming the way Guido indented...