A Date With Tim Peters...

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at cnri.reston.va.us
Fri Dec 3 12:37:05 EST 1999

  AC> Ionel Simionescu wrote:
  >>  The bell rang by Tim is related to the fact that this web-side
  >> of the conference may benefit from Dragon's "Naturally Speaking"
  >> speech-to-text conversion facilities, and thus provide live news
  >> feeds from the conference and seminar rooms to the
  >> web-attendance.

  AC> Speech recognition technology is presently not able to
  AC> transcribe natural speech of unknown speakers. This would only
  AC> work by having audio recorded and webcast.

You are so true.

I think a better solution than audio recording and Webcast (which
sounds expensive to me) is to get volunteers to act as scribes for
particular sessions or talks.  If we can get enough volunteers to
cover everything, we could put together a pretty nice conference
report.  Usenix has been doing this for its conferences, and I really
like the results.

Any volunteers?  I'd be happy to coordinate.

Jeremy