exchanging data btwn Python and lesser languages

Preston Landers prestonlanders at my-deja.com
Tue Dec 7 11:00:10 EST 1999

As strange as it may sound, Python is not the only language used in our
shop (who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty.)

I'm looking for a quick-n-dirty way to exchange data between Python and
other languages, especially P*rl.  I don't have time to implement a
full-blown XML solution, which is really what this problem calls for
IMHO.

The data I want to exchange is pretty simple; mainly lists/arrays and
dicts/hashes of integers (possibly longints), strings, and floats.  No
fancy objects or anything.

I see that Python has an XDR module that may suit my needs, but I can't
find the equivilent P*rl module...

Essentially I want to write out my data to a file, similar to pickle or
marshal, and be able to read the data easily in popular languages.

What solution have people out there been using for this kind of
problem?

thanks in advance,

---Preston

--