Python-powered Win95 Replacement Shell

Ivan Frohne frohne at gci.net
Wed Dec 22 18:23:23 EST 1999

> I'm not going to download it unless I hear some compelling reason
> why I should -- it _is_ over a MB, and still beta, after all; _what_
> does it give me over Internet Explorer, exactly?  Its emphasis on
> "themes" sort of throws me off -- I've never particularly liked the
> 'theme' idea, anyway, and I get pretty much all the dynamic
> contents I can handle from the existing 'active desktop' shell.

Being more foolhardy than Alex, I did download and install Graphite.
No problems until, as advised, I rebooted.  Graphite takes over the
display, although Windows 98 is there (invisible) in the background.  Nothing seemed to work; finally I right-clicked, got to the Control Panel and uninstalled Graphite.  No lasting ill-effects, apparently.  But not much learned, either.  There is no Help, and absolutely no other documentation, either.

I gather there are (or will be) a mail system and a browser incorporated.  The displayed (analog) clock works, and there is a functional system resources display.  More of an alpha than a beta.  Looks promising though.  There is a news server -- see
http://www.graphite.sh

--Ivan Frohne