stop the presses (?) -- superb free web site installs Python for free CGI...?

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Wed Dec 29 16:49:15 EST 1999

Maybe I should have waited until confirming they're going
to do it, but -- I'll be away for a few days so I wanted to
break the presumably-good news as they're still hot...

Remember my quest for a free website that would let me
write CGI scripts _in Python_, and how I grumbled about
Perl being the only way to write scripts on those few free
web hosts that do allow CGI at all...?

OK, www.prohosting.com may be coming to the rescue --
already, I thought them the best free site of all, since, for
example, they don't *impose* ad banners on free sites;
they *courteously ask* you to display their banner on your
pages, but won't kill you if you don't.  Besides, they sell
professional hosting services, not ads -- they hope to
generate goodwill, and if your free website becomes
commercial and starts needing fast support, you'll choose
them to host it (if they keep treating me like this, I will,
and, meanwhile, if their quality stays this way, I'll surely
be recommending them to anyone who asks).

So, anyway, their free support service finally answered
my Python request -- _apogizing_ for not having it around
already, explaining they used to but none of their
customers used it anyway, and promising to put it up
soon on the specific machine that is going to host my
site.  Now *that* is the attitude I like -- I hope they do
follow through, but, even worst case, it's already much
better than the canned "your request was noted, but
we have no plans about this at this time" responses
from the other free-with-CGI-Perl sites such as xoom.

If there is interest, I'll keep the group posted about any
follow-ups to this story (in a few days, when I'm back
from my overdue year's-end-break:-).

Alex