A Date With Tim Peters...

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Thu Dec 2 13:31:09 EST 1999

Robin Becker <robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[2000 vs 2001 as the start of the new millenium]
> Doesn't matter about the base; to celebrate 2000 years you have to have
> them. As there's no zero A.D. even C programmers will find it difficult
> to dig up the extra year.  Year 2000 bi-milleniallists should celebrate
> the start of the 2000'th year next January; then they can celebrate the
> beginning of the new millenium in 2001. Mere digit preferentialists can
> do as they please, personally I'm going to try and wait for 2222.

I propose to retroactively introduce a year 0 AD. Just use the currently
1 BC for it and substract 1 from all BC numbers. Besides, we should be
using negatives for BC anyway.

After all as far as I understand nobody knows when Christ was born exactly
anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Historians will just have to adapt,
their fault for coming up with such a bizarre system in the first place. :)

Proposal-has-been-sent-to-the-W3C-ly yours,

Martijn