browser interface?

55555 55555 at dakotacom.net
Tue Dec 7 19:53:03 EST 1999

On Tue, 7 Dec 1999 08:30:04 -0800, Patrick Phalen <python-list at teleo.net> wrote:
> [Bob Horvath, on Tue, 07 Dec 1999]
> :: Patrick Phalen wrote:
> ::
> :: > [55555, on Sun, 05 Dec 1999]
> :: > :: Not having a formal CS background, I have no real idea about how to pass
> :: > :: information between programs, and I don't have time to teach myself any GUI`
> :: > :: toolkits.  I thought using a browser as an interface would be an easy
> :: > :: compromise.  So my question is should I use the cgi module to do that or is
> :: > :: there a better way?  Also, if I'm using cgi, is there a way to not reload my
> :: > :: script every time a button is clicked?  Thanks in advance.
> :: >
> :: > Sounds like Zope might be a fit.
> :: >
> :: > http://www.zope.org
> ::
> :: The Zope learning curve might be a bit much.  It depends on what he wants to do.
> :: I am very intersted in Zope, have it loaded on my machine, but have not been able
> :: to get off the ground with it.  I am anxiously awaiting the O'Reilly book.  If
> :: anyone has any good pointers to where to start with Zope, I'ld love to hear about
> :: them.
> ::
> :: My answer to the original post would have been that cgu is probably what you want
> :: to look at, but Zope should be considered too.
>
> Bob,
>
> You make a good point. Zope requires more time and mental investment to
> learn than cgi.py. However, the original poster asked for a persistance
> model across requests, too. Given that, I think it *might* be easier
> overall to learn Zope than try to engineer transaction-like behavior
> from scratch. IOW, he'd likely end up needing an application server
> anyway.
>
> In regard to documentation, it's improving. Have you looked lately at
> http://zdp.zope.org and at http://www.zope.org/Documentation?
> Quite a few Guides and Tips now. Browse through the How-Tos -- there are
> close to 100 of them now.

Thanks for the input.  Unfortunately, Zope looks like it's a little over my head, and I'm
not even sure what an application server is, although, I can guess.  Without getting too
complex, is there a way to let the script stay open and "listen" for clicks on a local
web page and then respond by printing new html whenever something happens.  I am guessing
that cgi would do the trick, but as far as I can tell, it would reload the script
everytime something is clicked.  Is that wrong?  I just don't want to open and close an
application 50 times.  Thanks again.