eff-bot Python book ... revisited

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sun Dec 19 11:49:21 EST 1999

In article <oq3durs00h.fsf at titan.progiciels-bpi.ca>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Fran=E7ois_Pinard?=  <pinard at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>Ivan Van Laningham <ivanlan at callware.com> writes:
>
>> (And last time I checked, the PDF viewer for Linux sucked; maybe that's
>> changed by now, maybe Adobe offers their own 4.0 viewer for Linux. ...)
>
>I'm far from PDF, but it happened that Ghostscript helped me at viewing it
>conveniently on Linux -- through `gv', I rarely use Ghostscript directly.
>
>However, sending to the printer from `gv' (a Tkinter introduction, if I
>remember well?) was less happy, as the inter-letter spacing was all wrong,
>making the printed result especially difficult to read.  Even if it helps
>me (?!) at reading more slowly, the fatigue grows faster.  I have no idea
>of the cause of this random spacing, far less the solution.
			.
			.
			.
There's *got* to be a happier conclusion than this.
I'm running right now on an unmaintained FreeBSD
2.2.2 (that's an OS dating to 20 May 1997), and the
xpdf (dated 29 Apr 1998) I'm using does everything
I've asked.  While I know almost nothing about this
subject, I've got to think that some combination of
pieces will take at least Ivan farther than he seems
to be now.  Persevere.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net