Python complaints

Manuel Gutierrez Algaba thor at localhost.localdomain
Fri Dec 10 09:51:00 EST 1999

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:52:05 +1100, skaller <skaller at maxtal.com.au> wrote:
>	Integers are NOT objects in Python, they're values.
>Same for strings and tuples. We can pretend they're objects,
>and say they're 'immutable', but the truth is that they're
>just plain values.
>
>	My new Viper interpreter may support 'mutable'
>integers and strings as follows: you write:
>
>	x := 1
>	x++
>	x+=1
>
>This notation actually creates a reference (pointer) to the value,
>so x is a 'reference to an integer', and x++ actually means:
>
>	x := x + 1
>
>To see the difference consider:
>
>	a = 1
>	x := a
>	x++
>	print a,x
>

>Comments on this idea appreciated.

I'm really glad of your effort producing Viperi. Perhaps , I'd even
become a Viperi user some day. Specially it's worth the effort of
providing a better Garbage collector,...

But I don't like this kind of C-like short expresions, and furthermore
it seems that you give the Integer a new Object life, but then
you start treatign them like Integers again or worse , like pointers.

x.inc() would be more acceptable.

--
Manolo