Newbie question : Info on Python under DOS/Windows

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Sun Dec 19 11:57:36 EST 1999

In article <38209987.2A7005C3 at interet.com>,
James C. Ahlstrom <jim at interet.com> wrote:
>Endgamer wrote:
>> hold the date on reboot after the millenium.
>> My question is: I've found it hard to locate resources or  information
>> on Python under DOS/Windows - are there any special groups, sites or
>
>Python on DOS/Win95 works the same as on Unix.  Just
>start at www.python.org.
>
>Jim Ahlstrom

'Couple of things I think Endgamer deserves to hear:
1.  If narrow-sense MS-DOS interests you, Python
    still has a lot to offer you.  I don't know
    of anyone building MS-DOS versions from re-
    cent Python releases, and I'm not current
    with what the possibilities are.  However,
    I use a version 1.epsilon port to MS-DOS,
    and am thoroughly satisfied with it.  More
    details available, if it matters.
2.  I suspect Mr. Ahlstrom doesn't work in
    Marketing.  To write that "Python on ...
    Win95 works the same as on Unix" seriously
    undersells what the Py-on-Win* folks have
    accomplished.  It speaks COM!  It knows the
    registry!  Multiple GUI toolkits are well-
    supported!

    I summarize:  Win*!Python does what you want.
    Give it a look.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net