Python suitability

Grant Edwards grant at nowhere.
Tue Dec 14 16:58:23 EST 1999

Tom Culliton wrote:
>Nemeth Miklos  <nemeth at iqsoft.hu> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder whether you have enough developers who are proficient with
>>> Python and all the other new technologies you want to use - Python is
>>> good, but it isn't a panacea,
>>
>>How many time (days or weeks) do you think is needed for a good C++
>>programmer to become a good Python programmer?

About twice as long as it would take for a Modula-3 or
Smalltalk programmer.  ;) I've never thought C++ was a
particularly decent example of an object-oriented language, but
maybe that's because I learned Smalltalk and M3 first.

The whole virtual-function-method thing has always struck me as
very obtuse.  You apparently have to guess ahead of time which
methods somebody might, at some point in the future, want to
override, and declare them differently from the non-overridable
ones...

>Learning python is very quick and easy, especially for developers with
>experience in more than one computer language.  Typically it takes
>about a day to learn the basics, and a week to get quite comfortable.

Especially for somebody with experienced in a decent OO
langage. If you already understand how Tk works (from use with
Tcl or Scheme, for example), then you should be able to start
cranking on a decent sized GUI app after a couple days' study.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have a TINY BOWL in
                                  at               my HEAD