DLLs and Pythonwin

Gordon McMillan gmcm at hypernet.com
Fri Dec 3 10:22:12 EST 1999

Magnus L. Hetland writes:

> Oh, well. So no I have a PC too... I have been using Python on
> Solaris (and FreeBSD) up until now, and will continue to do so,
> but now I also use it under Windows NT. (Hey! IDLE is neat ;)
>
> But - pythonw.exe complains that it can't find tcl80.dll in "the
> specified path". It seems that, at least the Tk part works fine
> (IDLE appears), and I did install tcl80.dll along with python.
> (It is there - I checked :)

It's finding it; just not where it expects to find it...

> This isn't really a *problem* for me (except for the annoying
> warning that it can't find the dll), but it seems a bit
> unnecessary. Is there any preferred solution? Where is the path
> referred to specified (so I could put in the dll)? Shouldn't this
> be fixed by the installation wizard? (IMO, for Windows, it would
> be nice if everything were just plug-and-play... I mean - it
> almost is on UNIX, even, so... ;)

Do NOT move the dll (then it won't find the libs). Put the dll's
directory on you PATH. See lib-tk/FixTk.py if you want to
know what's going on.

BTW, Pythonw and Pythonwn are entirely separate beasts.
The latter is Mark Hammond's Python / MFC integration.

- Gordon