FINANCIAL MODELLING PACKAGE IN PYTHON?

Ajith Prasad aprasad at magix.com.sg
Fri Dec 24 21:10:03 EST 1999

Andy Robinson's website at http://www.robanal.demon.co.uk mentions his work
on DoubleTalk which uses Python to handle accounting transactions. I saw
also references to work by Kevin McDermott on use of Python in finance.

I wonder whether anyone is working on a full-fledged financial modelling
package in Python? I have in mind a package similar to IFPS (Interactive
Financial Planning System) described in "Visual IFPS/Plus for Business"
by Paul Gray (details at http://www.amazon.com), but extensible in Python
with OLAP-type functionality. I am sure that there would be a good market
for such a product among finance professionals who need much more than a
spreadsheet but who find current commercially available OLAP packages
inadequate as they have very convoluted and limited rules languages for
expressing business logic, especially, financial or corporate models.