RPM-interface/module

Thomas Weholt thomas at bibsyst.no
Fri Dec 31 06:48:12 EST 1999

Question 1:

I guess this module is written in C or something and uses lots of stuff
only available on Red Hat-systems? It`s not just one simple
rpm.py-module, cuz that would be just to easy. I`m sayind this because I
want to use this module in a software-package that should be able to run
on lots of platforms, or at least win32 and i386-flavours of linux, and
I`ll have to disable the rpm-feature if the host platform is other than
Red Hat. Not that this is a huge problem, but it would be nice to know
if I *had* to do it.

All I want is to read out info about a single rpm-file, not scan the
rpm-database or anything else fancy. The best possible thing would be
something like :

rpm-info = rpm.open("python-scripts_1_3.rpm")

where rpm-info was an object containg stuff like software-category etc.
If this is Red Hat, possibly Suse or any other rpm-using linux-distro.
specific, I`d be glad to know.

Question 2:

I`d like info on any other module available similar to PIL, PST and
mp3infor.py etc. Stuff that extracts info stored in files, like Linux
Debian software-packages, zip-files, cab-files etc. Whatever. If there
is standardized info stored inside a file, I want that info. It would be
nice to be able to open zip-files, scan for file_id.diz, readme or
nfo-files or any other user-specified file, and read those files, index
the contents etc.

I want to use all this in a cd-indexing package I`ve probably mentioned
a million times before. Modules, scripts or any other sort of
information related to the subjects below would be appreciated :

* mp3 - got software to extract id3-tag info. Need module to
fetch/locate cover-image on the net based on album-info in the id3-tag
* Need CD-ROM module. I want to extract cd-label, creation date and any
other info stored in cd-roms.
* Any sort of module that extracts info from common file-formats, like
compressed archives, executables, libraries etc. Got PIL/PST so sound
and images should be covered. Even if it`s platform dependant, I`ll just
disable/enable features accordingly to current host-platform.

Any help, ideas or tips appreciated.

Happy new year and thanks for all the help you`ve given me so far.

Best regards,
Thomas Weholt