Looking for sshlib.py

Preston Landers prestonlanders at my-deja.com
Wed Dec 1 13:43:50 EST 1999

In article <tBX04.11350$VA6.54975 at news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
  "John Leach" <bbosware at vic.bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> I'm looking to write a Python frontend for character-based
applications
> accessed via the internet.
> telnet works well but I'd like something with more security (telnet
sends
> its password unencrypted I believe).

Most telnets (especially most standard unix telnets) send *Everything*
unencrypted, not just passwds.  You may be interested in encrypting all
traffic, not just passwords.  In which case, ssh is definetely the way
to go.  You could brew you own custom SSL based module, but I would
look at interfacing with ssh first.

> I'll try calling ssh from within Python and see if that helps.

Indeed, I think you can use the popen3 module to accomplish this.  You
may find the PyExpect modules (there are several variations) useful as
well, as they assist in scripting interactive term-based programs.

a Python sshlib is not a bad idea, though.  If you do any work on this,
be sure to post to the newsgroup.

BTW, as an aside, I recently wanted to automate some of my bank
transactions that I do via http/SSL.  Unfortunately I found the state
of http/SSL support in Python rather lacking, and I had to turn to Perl
to acccomplish what I needed, simply because the modules were availible
and more robust and mature.  If I had time I would rectify this
situation. :-(

good luck,

---Preston

--