What do we call ourselves?

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Dec 9 22:28:13 EST 1999

Hi All--
There's been some discussion over the last couple of years over the
matter of how to refer to those who write Python for love, money or the
greater glory of Monty.

I have always favored Pythonista, because of its "attacking from the
bushes" flavor ("nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition"), but others
have offered Pythoneer, Pythonist, and several others which I cannot now
remember.

This evening, however, I was struck by a thought (our cat Harley is
occasionally "struck by a thought," too, rather visibly--her eyes go
blank, her ears go straight up, and she stares off into space with her
mouth slightly open).  I seemed to remember something from the middle
Harry Potter book, _Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets_.  I dug it
out from underneath several occupation layers, and leafed through it.
Ah, yes.  There it is:  page 194.

"...the snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet into the air and fell
back to the floor with a loud smack.  Enraged, hissing furiously, it
slithered straight toward Justin Finch-Fletchley and raised itself
again, fangs exposed, poised to strike.

"Harry wasn't sure what made him do it.  He wasn't even aware of
deciding to do it.  All he knew was that his legs were carrying him
forward as though he was on casters and that he had shouted stupidly at
the snake, "Leave him alone!"  And miraculously--inexplicably--the snake
slumped to the floor, docile as a thick, black garden hose, its eyes now
on Harry.  Harry felt the fear drain out of him.  He knew the snake
wouldn't attack anyone now, though how he knew it, he couldn't have
explained. ...

"[Ron and Hermione] pushed Harry into and armchair and said, 'You're a
Parselmouth.  Why didn't you tell us?'

"'I'm a what?' said Harry.

"'A _Parselmouth_!' said Ron.  'You can talk to snakes!'"

--_Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets_, by J.K. Rowling.  Arthur A.
Levine Books, New York:  1999.

A Parselmouth understands parseltongue, it says later in the book.
Presumably, speaking, reading and writing all come under the rubric of
understanding.

Quod erat demonstrandum:  we are all Parselmouths!

<and-this-is-snake-language>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours