"Message file not found"

Stefan Schwarzer s.schwarzer at ndh.net
Mon Dec 27 10:20:41 EST 1999

Hello Will :)

Will Rose schrieb:
> At a guess it's a setup problem.  I get (on Warp 3.0):
>
> Python 1.5.2 (#0, Jun 27 1999, 11:23:01) [VisualAge C/C++] on os2
> Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
> Traceback (innnermost last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
> IOError: [Errno 10] The file cannot be found.: 'spam'
> >>>

> which seems a bit more useful.  But the only environment variables
> I have declared are the standard PYTHONHOME and PYTHONSTARTUP, so
> there's nothing unusual about my setup.

I tried more:

On Solaris:

>>> f=open('WWW','r')
>>> f.read()
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
IOError: [Errno 21] Is a directory

On OS/2:

>>> f=open('dist','r')   # also a directory
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
IOError: [Errno 60] Message file not found.: 'dist'

In my original posting I got errorcode 10, like you for an unfound
file, now 60 for trying to open a directory as a file, so there is
a hope that the error information doesn't get lost during it's
handling. :-)

Could you please post (or send a mail with) the contents of
errno.errorcode on your system?

Possibly the setting for your libpath could also be helpful, because
my errno.errorcode is accessible but contains the wrong information.
It might be that the mapping stems from another DLL. (?)

Stefan