"sins" (aka, acknowledged language problems)

Alex Martelli alex at magenta.com
Wed Dec 15 06:43:59 EST 1999

Browsing on the Perl sites recently, I came upon:

    http://www.perl.com/pub/1999/11/sins.html

which is a very interesting acknowledgment of
some of the problems with Perl, including how some
of them used to be there but are now fixed (or in
the process of being fixed) while others are there
to stay.

I wonder if there is some analogous URL, on the
Python sites, that I could quote right next to this
one when I'm providing people with reasons they
might want to consider switching from Perl to
Python.  After all, saying "here you will find, on
the Perl site, documentation on Perl defects, that
Python does not share -- Python, on the other
hand, is absolutely perfect" (:-) would not exactly
carry much strength... it would no doubt convince
the recipient that Pythonistas are fanatics, unable
to own up to their problems, while Perlites, while
labouring under many hard language problems, are
at least aware of them.

I'm fully convinced that Python's "here-to-stay"
problems are much lesser than Perl's, but having
them clearly acknowledged, in a way similar to
what is done at the above URL, would help a lot.

Thanks for any pointers,

Alex