newbie : books on python

idfx at netzero.net idfx at netzero.net
Tue Dec 21 23:29:01 EST 1999

Grant Edwards <grant at nowhere.> wrote in message
news:slrn85d01i.3i1.grant at grante.comtrol.com...
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> >Mahboob Hussain writes:
> >
> >> I program in C/C++/Java/Perl and want to learn Python. Could you
suggest
> >> a few good books / sites to get me started

    I'm also from a 'C-family'  background and I sympathize.  Augmenting
publishing is kinda sparse.  I figure the best way to learn it is to
play with it.
See if you can figure parallels to what you already know.  Python _is_
based on C/C++ anyways, and if you look hard enough, you can see some
of the C bases of the Python implementation.

> > NB: _Programming_Python_ (O'Reilly) and _Programming_with_Python_
>(Prima) are two different books. I've got the latter
 > Two other books I've seen recommended for experienced programmers are
> _The_Quick_Python_Book_ and _Python_Essential_Reference_.

> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  DIDI... is
that a
>                                   at               MARTIAN name, or,
are we
>                                visi.com            in ISRAEL?

    O'Reilly also prints a "Python Pocket Reference" which I find really
helpful because it only has the basic syntax stuff, which is what I
always forget.  Y'know, the language's 'grammar'.  It's only about 70
pgs and $6, and it comes in handy.
Particularly for someone (like you and like me) who's migrating  _to_
Python and just needs some help in translation.

yrs,
in_sanity,

idfx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/