Which grid widget?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at rempt.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 23 14:57:12 EST 1999

Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at madcap.dyn.ml.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> It seems that wxPython, pyFLTK and FXpy are all being actively
> developed.

PyKDE and PyQt are also very actively developed, and nowadays, with
version 0.10 *), PyQt also works with the Windows version of Qt:

  http://www.river-bank.demon.co.uk/software/

Qt includes a grid widget, but it is only fair to midling. If you need
something like the Visual Basic vsflexgrid (full editing, comboboxes,
outlining and a bag of other goodies), then you will be disappointed. But
from my cursory examination, no Python gui toolkit offers a grid with
that much functionality.  It's not too difficult to overlay the grid
with editboxes or comboboxes, anyway.

There are spreadsheet-like Qt grids available, but you'll probably have
to wrap them yourself.

> I am looking for a good grid widget. Which of the above toolkits
> should I look at? (Yeah, I know, _all_ of them! In my copious
> spare time I will. ;-)

I've taken a look myself, but wxWindows doesn't offer a fully editable,
spreadsheet-like grid either, and last time I took a look at FXpy, it
didn't have one either. I think you will either have to look hard for
a third-party module, or write one yourself.

*) The 0.10 means that there've already been ten releases, the count went
from 0.9 to 0.10 - some people thing 0.10 is the first alpha release,
while the stuff is now almost as stable as the pyramid of Gizeh, in fact.

--

Boudewijn Rempt  | http://denden.conlang.org