Multi-User non Client/Server database

Anders M Eriksson anders.eriksson at morateknikutveckling.se
Fri Dec 17 05:35:57 EST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:21:33 +0000, Sposhua <sposhua at my.pc> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Anders M Eriksson wrote:
>
>> I need a database and I can't use a Client/Server database since my
>> ISP refuses to let me install one. The database has to be Multi-User,
>> with record locking so that different user can read and write
>> 'simultaniously' (.don't remember the correct word.)

>Don't know what xBase is, but try the shelve library for databases. I think it
>also does all the file locking for you.

xBase is like dBASE and Clipper, and Foxpro etc...

About Shelves. I haven't used them (.I a beginner.) but the
documentations says that: "The shelve module does not support
concurrent read/write access to shelved objects". Which will make it
unusefull for my purpose. It alse mention that using Unix filelocking
this could be solved, but (feel free to correct me) then you get
locking on file level not on record level

So to recap: I need a database that must be Multi-user with record
locking, but NOT Client/Server. ANYONE?

// Anders