Python complaints

Ivan Van Laningham ivanlan at callware.com
Thu Dec 16 11:48:19 EST 1999

Hi All--

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <3858FEA3.E593F38C at callware.com>,
> Ivan Van Laningham  <ivanlan at callware.com> wrote:
> >Charles Boncelet wrote:

[snip]

> >Use
> >       import cmath
> >
> >and
> >       s=cmath.sin(c)
> >
> >All of the standard math functions that live in math.py have
> >correspondent functions in cmath.py.
>
> That's precisely the problem Charles was complaining about -- how the
> heck are you supposed to know this?  And why should you need to know
> this?  (I actually know the answer to the latter question, but I figure
> the Timbot has nothing better to do....  ;-)

I really don't see the problem here.  While it might be slightly
convenient to sink cmath into math, it _is_ documented on the math
module page that cmath exists and what it is for.

As to _why_ you should need to know this, I submit that if you're using
complex numbers in your programs, you really ought to know about the
cmath module and when/how you should use it.

I look forward to the timbot's scholarly explanation.

<but-it's-just-eating-bonbons-anyway>-ly y'rs,
Ivan
Ivan Van Laningham
Callware Technologies, Inc.
ivanlan at callware.com
ivanlan at home.com
http://www.pauahtun.org
See also:
Army Signal Corps:  Cu Chi, Class of '70
Author:  Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours