Sydney scoreboard?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Dec 21 19:07:20 EST 1999

"the_wrights" <the_wrights at onaustralia.com.au> wrote in message
news:8On74.6414$Dh3.85256 at ozemail.com.au...

> Sarah Burke <smb at bby.com.au> wrote in message
> news:385DB48C.7A7A52D6 at bby.com.au...
> > I think I remember reading on the web site a while ago that there
was a
> > scoreboard in a Sydney stadium programmed in Python. Does anyone
know
> > anything more about this?
> > Thanks
> >
> Mark Hammond will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the MCG
scoreboard is
> written in C++ with an embedded python interpreter for the end-user

This is correct.  The same software is also being run at the SCG and
at Olympic stadium for non olympic events.  Also at the new Colonial
stadium in Melbourne, and even the Westpac stadium in Auckland!
Python is taking over this half of the world :-)

Python is a very natural fit for this application - since embedding
Python the software can do for the operators what they could only
dream - in fact, I am constantly surprised how the operators have
abused the embedded interpreter to do things that I wouldnt have
thought feasable!

Mark.