Python mode for Alpha

Andres Corrada andres at corrada.com
Sun Dec 5 01:30:34 EST 1999

Brad Chapman wrote:

> Hello! I was just looking through the python how-tos and came across your
> info on editor configuration for python. I was very excited to see mention
> of a python mode for Alpha on the Mac, maintained by Tom Fetherston.
> However, you don't make mention of a contact/web page I could go to to get
> this mode (ie. the installation section is blank). Would you mind sending
> me that info, if you have it, so that I could get the mode installed.
> Thanks much for any help you can provide!
>
> Brad
> chapmanb at arches.uga.edu

I believe this mode is no longer being maintained by Tom Fetherston,
although copies of his mode are floating around. A better choice at this
time is to try the Alpha mode maintained by Howard Oakley
(howard at quercus.demon.co.uk). Try a search on the mac-python list with
"Alpha mode" to get links to a copy. Someone (it might be me!) should
upload Oakley's version to the Python site. Oakley has mentioned that he
sent a copy to Jack Jansen, the maintainer of the Mac port of Python. He
also sent a copy to the author of Alpha. Since I don't regularly use a
Mac for my work, I have not checked whether either the latest Alpha or
MacPython distribution has a copy of the mode.

If you do find a copy on either distribution, let me know so that the
pointer can be included in the next update of the HowTo. I would also be
grateful for installation instructions to improve the Alpha section on
the HowTo, if you can spare the time and effort.

Andres Corrada-Emmanuel   Email: andres at corrada.com
Owner                     http://www.corrada.com/mamey
Mamey                     Phone: (413) 587-9595