Exposing COM via XML-RPC or Something Else

William Tanksley wtanksle at hawking.armored.net
Wed Dec 1 13:27:33 EST 1999

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:41:21 -0500 , Brian Lloyd wrote:

>> At any rate, SOAP provides a Simple Object Access Protocol.
>> Just what you
>> need.  And it's essentially XML-RPC, and it's made to grok COM.

>> Highly satisfactory.  Now all we need is a truly open COM
>> implementation.

>Maybe not - IMHO SOAP is a good step forward, since you will
>now be able to just implement SOAP-aware Python objects instead
>of mucking around with COM. You can still interoperate with
>existing COM objects - hey, you could even declare them to be
>"legacy" code :^)

Yes, but you can only write COM objects on a COM-supporting platform.  I'm
not aware of any freely available ones (although WINE might have
something, its docs don't mention it).

I'm helping a friend implement COM for his OS, so I'm a bit grumpy ;-).
It's a cool system.

>Brian Lloyd        brian at digicool.com

Go Zope!

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley, in hoc signo hack